Monday, April 25, 2011

April 24, 2011

Anita Dunn
Adam: Oh man, I really don't know where to start. I mean, I get the whole easter egg theme, but that doesn't mean you have to dress like one.


Spencer: Are you talking about her clothes, or just the shape of her head?  I kid, I kid.  And I know you're knocking the color, Adam, but it seems clear to me that she's just trying to match the Meet The Press sign over her shoulder.


Mel: I think that this color totally washes her out.  I have a hard time wearing pastels, too, but that’s why I don’t go on the Sunday shows during Easter weekend.  Seriously, though, a number of other panelists skipped the pastel - to be fair, not always in a good way - but I think there would’ve been other options for bringing some Easter spirit without wearing something so muted. 

Christiane Amanpour
Adam: In all my two weeks as an amateur Sunday political show fashion blogger, I have never seen such a smart outfit on Ms. Amanpour. The jacket, the shirt, the lapel microphone – all of it classy yet modern. Well done, Christiane. 


Spencer: This is an improvement on the past two weeks.  I have nothing snarky to say.  Which angers me.  I don't watch "The McLaughlin Group" for calm, reasoned analysis, and I don't watch "This Week" for the clothes.  I expect train wrecks on both counts.  Don't disappoint me like this again, Ms. Amanpour.  


Mel: This actually looks good in the screencap.  There was a full-body view early on, but luckily for Christiane, it wasn’t available online, so I couldn’t put it up here.  There was a belt issue and I don’t really like how this shirt fits with a suit, but, that said, this is still a huge improvement over weeks past.  It’s kind of a return to her previous, more masculine looking wardrobe, which I was never a fan of, but, as established over the last couple of shows, more feminine does not necessarily mean better.  I’d still like to see some more attempts at finding a good style for her, but I understand if they want to take the holiday off.  For a blazer and collared white shirt, this isn’t bad.  


David Brooks


Spencer:  David Brooks is the quintessential moderate conservative.  Nothing too daring, nothing too extreme; just mindless, boring centrism that, while appealing to no one, won’t really offend anyone either.  Apparently he doesn’t limit that attitude to his columns.  I see nothing wrong with anything he’s wearing here – but I see nothing particularly right with it either.  Navy suit.  Light blue shirt.  Solid, pinkish tie.  Normally, I’d criticize such uninspired choices, but I’m just too bored to get passionate about it.  Which is probably exactly what Brooks is shooting for.


Adam: YAAAWWWWNN. You suck, Brooks. And by that I mean, yeah, I agree with Spencer. Give us something to work with here! Pawlenty used to be all moderate conservative too -- AND he had a mullet. Just saying what I’ve been saying for at least 15 years now – pay more attention to circa 2007 Tim Pawlenty. kthxbye


Mel: This is fairly boring.  My first instinct was that it was at least a thoughtful boring, as opposed to regular boring, which is defaulting to the standard blue or dull red tie that doesn’t even complement the wearer that much, but on second glance, all I can focus on is how shiny his clothes are.  Anyone who’s ever watched me watch The Chris Matthews Show knows that I am not a particular fan of shiny ensembles (Katty Kay, I’m talking about you).  Even his shirt somehow looks shiny.  This may be due to the lighting, so I’ll give him a pass for now, but he’s on notice.   

David Gregory

Adam: Wow, I really like all this, David. In fact, I like it almost as much as the last time I saw it … when it was on Jon Meacham just a week ago on your own damn show. Oh dang. Did I just blow your mind?! (Okay, the tint is slightly different, but whatever. I just owned you.)


Mel: Ha, nice call, Adam.  Well, if you’re going to imitate an outfit, I think that one was a good choice. Nicely done, David Gregory.  These colors look good on you, and the gray suit and pastel pink tie also seem very Easter-appropriate.   


Spencer: It's hard to tell from this screen shot, but I saw MTP on my 42" hi-def today, and trust me -- that tie is a disaster.  It looks like the upholstery from a couch in a cheap hotel lounge.  Still, it's David's best showing in three weeks.


Eugene Robinson


Spencer: Now, if I just described Eugene Robinson’s outfit – navy suit, white shirt, solid pink tie – you’d probably think there’s little distance between him and David Brooks.  So why does Robinson pull it off so much better?  Start with the tie.  It’s a brighter pink, and matched against the white shirt, it shines. Then check out the knot.  It’s bold, fat, proud – whereas Brooks’s wimpy knot seems like it’s trying to hide behind his collar.  Then compare their glasses.  Hipster beats wire rim every time.  If Robinson’s goal here was to beat Brooks at his own game, I just wish he’d slapped his Pulitzer down on the table for good measure. 
  
Mel: Agree with Spencer.  I know this is seemingly similar to Brooks’ ensemble, which I thought was slightly boring, but I really like this.  For me, it’s all about the brightness of the tie.  It’s a great color on him, and in the spring spirit.  As Spencer points out, he also picks up some style points with the knot of his tie and the hipster glasses.     

Kent Conrad
Mel:  I like the tie.  As far as the jacket, I feel like I should have more of a problem with it than I do, but you know what?  He’s from North Dakota.  I feel like if I were from North Dakota, this would be what my Sunday best looked like, too.  It seems like it fits.  If it were way more offensive, I might not let it slide, but it’s not that bad, and the worst that I could probably say about it if it were anyone else is, “It makes him look like he’s from North Dakota.”  And since Kent Conrad is, hey, it all works out.  That was easy.


Adam: Yeah, I’m not quite so forgiving. (For what it’s worth, I also think that anyone who calls soda “pop” is objectively wrong. You know who you are.) It’s not the worst plaid suit I can imagine, but I can imagine some stupid, ridiculous stuff. What might’ve looked better? How about anything without horizontal stripes. Future Jack Donaghy’s suit was better than this. Survey says X. 


Spencer:  Plaid?  We're really debating whether plaid makes the cut? I don't recall anyone in "Fargo" looking like a tic-tac-toe board.  That suit belongs in a woodchipper, don'tcha know?

 
Tom Coburn


Spencer: If Darth Vader ever takes an office job, I’m pretty sure he’ll be stealing this look.  In fact, if Coburn’s missing anything, it’s the mask. At least it would cover up that frown.  (Actually, the Darth Vader comparison may be apt for another reason, which is that Coburn took today’s show as an opportunity to throw Emperor Palpatine – er, Grover Norquist – down a hole in a stunning act of betrayal.  I knew there was still good in you, Tom.  I knew it.)


Adam: Kneel before Coburn! (Sad thing is, that’s pretty much required under the Senate rules for the Majority to eat its morning Frosted Flakes, let alone pass a bill. ZING!) Also, that tie's stripes are a little too narrow for my tastes. Yeah, I said it.


Spencer: Actually, the way he keeps glaring at me, I'm kinda scared now.  All criticism retracted.  Lovely suit, Senator Coburn.  Just lovely.  <Whistling and quietly backing away ...> 


Mel: I like nothing about this.  It looks like it is both sloppy and uncomfortable at once.  I don’t like the tie colors, and I don’t like how thin the stripes are.  Also, he looks like Alex Trebek here, and, even though I love Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek annoys me in kind of an awesome way.  This outfit annoys me in an annoying way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment