Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 8, 2011

Condoleezza Rice




Mel: I don’t know, if it were me, and I were a former Bush Administration official going on TV to talk about my boss’s successor taking down Osama bin Laden, I’d be going out of my way to project confidence and competence.  Apparently, Condoleezza Rice does not feel this way, because this jacket makes her look like someone who I wouldn’t trust to make decisions in a Macy’s, let alone the Situation Room.

Spencer: It looks like Condi has plans to meet Dubya for dinner at the local Applebee's after this interview.  I've always respected Secretary Rice, but that's before I knew that she dresses like a suburban soccer mom on date night when she's out of the office.  

Adam: I think she accidentally walked into Bob Ross’s studio, knocked over his canvass, and the dude just found a way to keep right on painting. God bless that man.

















Christiane Amanpour
Mel:  Oh no – it’s back.  This time, Christiane pairs the biker professor jacket with a dress shirt and silver accessories.  As much as I didn’t like the gold accessories and pink shell from the first time we saw this blazer, I feel that this is much worse.  The earrings are too much, and so is the shirt.  I appreciate that she wears her suits more than once, in theory, but not when they shouldn’t have been worn in the first place. 

Spencer: I'm going to revisit the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry's girlfriend keeps wearing the same dress.  Does Amanpour have a closet full of identical leather/tweed jackets, like Superman?  Or did we simply catch her at the same point in her laundry rotation?  You'd think she'd change up the batting order to avoid this; it's been, what, three weeks since we saw this?  But more importantly, is this the smoking gun that proves that she chooses her own clothes on This Week?  After all, no professional stylist would allow her to wear the same thing only three episodes apart, would they?  

Adam: Christiane, what part of “except the earrings” did you NOT get on April 10th? I didn’t know it was physically possible, but these are somehow even worse! Now you’re just trying to shoot the moon or something, right?


David Gregory
Spencer: Mr. Gregory, I've mocked you relentlessly the past few weeks.  But all is forgiven today.  I'm loving the orange tie as summer sets in, and the pocket square adds a subtle splash of class.  Simple.  Bold.  Effective.

Mel: I am a huge fan of orange.  It's an underrated and under-used color.  It can take a little work to pull it off, but I think he does a decent job here.  Also, nice suit.

Doris Kearns Goodwin
Adam: I like this. She reminds me of a stereotypical 1950s social studies teacher that I just invented. Would’ve gone with no necklace rather than that monstrosity, though. Yeesh.

Spencer: I feel like I should recuse myself from criticizing Ms. Goodwin, as she is a notorious Boston Red Sox fan.  As such, she can wear any necklace she likes so long as it raises Carl Crawford's batting average.

Elisabeth Bumiller


Adam: Bumiller, are you going on safari or something? If so, then you need some sort of hat, or this will look really, really silly.  

Spencer: If that thing were a couple of shades away, she'd need a curious monkey for a sidekick.
Helene Cooper
Mel: I'm addressing Bumiller and Cooper together: is there a new dress code at The New York Times that could be described as “DIY business jumpsuit?”  Neither of these are that terrible, but it seems a strange coincidence that both of the Times ladies are wearing color-coordinated pantsuit-and-shell combos.   I guess at least it adds an interesting component to what are pretty boring outfits.
 
Katty Kay
Mel: Katty Kay isn’t wearing something shiny, and I think that is great. 

Spencer: You can't go wrong with red.  Bonus points for finding a successful career in journalism when your parents clearly named you with the exotic dancing industry in mind.  
Adam: I miss the shiny stuff. Bring it back! (I like shiny things.)

 
Mike Murphy

Spencer: I've been saving up all my mean today for Mike Murphy.  What the hell, Mike?  First of all, you're neither qualified nor good looking enough to replace Heath Ledger as The Joker in the "Dark Knight" sequel.  Secondly, let me say a few words about bow ties.  Actually, I better not, as this is a family blog.   

Mel: This makes me happy.  I know that I shouldn’t like the bow tie, but somehow I think he totally pulls this off, and it makes me smile.  He’s not the kind of guy that wears a bow tie every day on principle, and it doesn’t look like he's wearing a bow tie to wear a bow tie, like it’s some sort of joke, or like he's trying to be endearingly quaint.  It looks like he actually took it seriously, thought about the color, chose a nice tie, and I think he really makes this work.  This may well be the only bow tie ensemble I’ve ever liked.  That said, if he starts doing it every week, he risks becoming the guy that always wears bow ties and it loses its whimsical quality.  So, good job, Mike – but use this sparingly.  

Adam: Who does he look like? I’m pretty sure it’s a cross between the Toyman (One of Superman’s top enemies, believe it or not) and the Riddler, Also, love the Sally Jesse shades, Mike.  You’re like twinsies
.
Spencer: Any time an outfit sparks not one, but two separate comic book themed-jokes, it's bad by definition.  Oh, and Mel -- you're dead to me now.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment